The VLC Media Player usually delivers outstanding quality but some users have problems, like the player not working, lagging or crashing or the video coming up scrambled. While we’re sure there may be plenty more, we’ve found the top three that can be really annoying.
We’ll also show you the solutions for these VLC Media Player problems.
Stuttering, Lagging and Skipping
– First solution: Look for the File Caching option in Settings under Input/Codecs. Change the value from 300 to 1000 and save.
– Second solution: Open the VLC media player, press CTRL + P to show Settings. Select All. Go to Input/Codecs. Disable hardware-accelerated decoding.
– Third solution: Open the VLC player, press CTRL + P to show Settings. Go to the Video Output module and try the options until you find one you like.
If Video Playback is Scrambled
– First solution: Open the VLC media player and press CTRL + P to open Preferences. Select Video. Under Display turn off Accelerated video output and save.
– Second solution: Open the VLC player, press CTRL + P to show Settings. Select Input/Codecs. Find Advanced and Network Caching. Increase the caching value.
- Third solution: Instead of playing the video from a network drive or DVD, copy it onto your desktop. This often works if nothing else will.
The VLC Player Crashes
– First solution: Exit the VLC. Double click This PC/My Computer. Click View and Check for Hidden files. Open C:\User\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\VLC. Right-click VLCC and rename it.
– Solution 2: In File Explorer in Windows 10, find the right 64-bit or 32-bit Program File, click on exe, select Properties and run it in Compatibility Mode.
- Solution 3: Try Disabling Pre-loading MKV Files. If that fails, reinstall the VLC player. Uninstall it in Apps and Features, reboot your computer and reinstall the VLC setup from the official website.
Keep Your VLC Player Operating Smoothly
Although the VLC media player has been around for a long time, it is still known for its high-quality performance. The tips above should keep it running smoothly if there are any problems.